The UK fire alarm regulations can feel less than straightforward if you are not a fire safety professional.
The terminology the literature uses can be confusing, yet failure to comply can result in minor penalties of up to £5,000 and major penalties can have unlimited fines and up to 2 years in prison.
Saying you did not understand the law does not make you exempt.
In addition, the UK government recommends that all fire alarms and fire detection systems should be installed and maintained in accordance with the British Standard,and it is down to the responsible person to ensure this.
You are responsible for fire safety in the business or other non-domestic premises if you are: An employer, the owner, the landlord, an occupier, anyone else with control of the premises, for example a facilities manager, building manager or managing agent.
If YOU are the responsible person ‘The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005’ is referring to YOU and that means if your fire alarm systems are not compliant with UK fire legislation, should the worse happen, you would be responsible and held accountable in a court of law.
Don’t take the risk, contact FLR Fire & Security NOW for a free fire safety survey and we can:
- Determine if your site is compliant with UK fire legislation
- Establish gaps and overlaps in your current fire safety provision
- Make written recommendations for cost effective savings
- Offer advice on fire safety issues you may be experiencing – from false fire alarms, to understanding fire legislation
We can install new fire equipment and detection systems or continue the servicing and maintenance of your existing equipment, such as:
- Fire detection & alarm
- 24/7 fire alarm monitoring
- Fire extinguishers & fire safety products
- Fire suppression systems
- Maintenance & monitoring
- Emergency lighting & safety signage